A lot of factors go into managing a successful career in logistics management. For instance, you’ll need to be building your skills for a job constantly in order to advance your career. There are also numerous mistakes that you need to avoid making.
The following are a few mistakes that can really hinder the progress of your career as a supply chain manager:
- Trying to avoid failure – Many people are terrified of failing. One of the mistakes that comes out of this fear is setting your expectations too low. When your expectations are too low, you may end up keeping a position for longer than you should instead of taking steps to move upwards. Many people end up doing this because they mistakenly believe lower expectations helps to make them feel more secure. But you should strive to do better, even if you encounter failures along the way. Failure builds experience, and experience is necessary to further your career.
- Not networking enough – Many people will limit their networking to within their company. You need to expose yourself to different perspectives and ideas by networking outside of your comfort zone. Networking with people at other companies in the logistics field and actively with organizations like CSCMP, APICS, and WERC can prove vital to the future of your career, especially when other opportunities come along.
- Prioritizing money – Don’t always make decisions based on money. Sometimes a lesser paying job will provide you with better experience and networking opportunities, which means that it can prove to be more valuable to your career than a slightly higher paying job.
- Not taking any risks while you’re young – Taking risks in your career is easier to do during the early stages of your career. Don’t be afraid to take on a special position or project, by doing so you can gain some valuable experience that can be beneficial later to you later on in your career.
- Quitting because of a bad boss – A bad boss may make work somewhat miserable, but stick it out – the experience can help build strength and character that will help you deal with adversity in your future.
Avoid making these mistakes and continue building your skills for a job to help advance your career the way you want in the logistics management field. Contact us today at Optimum Supply Chain Recruiters to see how we can get you connected in the supply chain industry.